Essential Oils for Sleep and Anxiety
Every living being needs to sleep. Sleep, like oxygen, plays a critical role in good health and well-being throughout your life. Getting enough quality sleep at the right times can help protect your mental health, physical health, quality of life, and safety.
Despite all these benefits, sleep quality and quantity are at an all-time low, and people increasingly suffer from poor sleep.
Other than taking sleeping pills which could be addictive and detrimental to your health, you could consider an all natural alternatives like essential oils.
Aromatherapy is a form of alternative medicine that relies on the powerful sense of smell. Practitioners use the essential oils from plants to heal the mind, body, and soul. Essential oils can be used for a variety of purposes, from boosting mood to relieving migraines, but in this article we’ll focus on how they can be used to calm and relax the mind and body, preparing you for sleep.
Check out some of our List of Best Essential Oils for Sleep and Anxiety below.
Why sleeping is important?
Across an 85-year lifespan, an individual may sleep nearly 250,000 hours, or over 10,000 full days. With increasing age there are substantial changes to sleep quantity and quality including changes to slow wave sleep, spindle density, and sleep continuity/fragmentation.
The way you feel after waking up depends in part on what happens while you’re sleeping. During sleep, your body is working to support healthy brain function and maintain your physical health. In children and teens, sleep also helps support growth and development.
Many of us toss and turn or watch the clock when we can’t sleep for a night or two. But for some, a restless night is routine. The damage from sleep deficiency can occur in an instant (such as a car crash), or it can harm you over time.
Ongoing sleep deficiency can raise your risk for some chronic health problems. It also can affect how well you think, react, work, learn, and get along with others. Lack of sleep can cause a vicious cycle of stress and anxiety exacerbating your sleeping problem.
How Essential Oils Help with Sleep
Anyone who’s smelled fresh cookies baking in the oven knows that scents have a strong influence on how we feel. When we smell something, our olfactory nerve sends signals directory to our limbic system and amygdala, the parts of our brain responsible for our memory or mood. That’s why certain scents can instantly make us feel brighter, or recall a favourite memory.
Choosing scents that promote relaxation can help get our bodies into a restful state ready for sleep. The nice aroma of essential oils can be a pleasant way to enhance the sleeping experience.
Making essential oils part of your bedtime routine can also help train your mind to associate the specific scent with falling asleep.
Best Essential Oils for Sleep and Anxiety?
Essential oils are natural and does not contain the side effects associated with many sleep medications, such as daytime drowsiness or more serious health risks. In fact, a 2010 study found that smelling jasmine is just as effective at calming the nerves as a sleeping pill or sedative, but without any adverse side effects.
So which essential oils are best for promoting sleep and anxiety?
Here’s our top 8 best essential oils for supporting healthy sleep! (essential oils are listed in no particular ranking).
- Lavender – Lavender oil works as an anxiolytic (an anxiety reliever) and as a sedative, to increase relaxation and calm. It interacts with the neurotransmitter GABA to help quiet the brain and nervous system activity, reducing agitation, anger, aggression, and restlessness. As a natural alternative, it is soothing and can help you relax, unwind and reduce anxiety. Studies found that inhaling the scent of lavender for 4 weeks can prevent stress, anxiety, and depression after childbirth and help bring about sleep.
- Frankincense – When inhaled, frankincense oil been shown to reduce heart rate and high blood pressure. It has anti-anxiety and depression-reducing abilities, but unlike prescription medications, it does not have negative side effects or cause unwanted drowsiness. It is useful in lowering levels of anxiety or chronic stress that can keep you up at night. It has a calming, grounding scent that can naturally help you to fall asleep. This natural sleep aid helps open breathing passages, allows your body to reach an ideal sleeping temperature and can eliminate pain that keeps you up.
- Cedarwood – Cedarwood is another oil that is popular with people who appreciate a woody scent. It is an affordable oil in comparison to sandalwood, and it can help people to relax. It helps to reduce stress by stimulating the production of serotonin, and it can also elevate your mood. Cedarwood acts as a natural sedative, and because of this, cedarwood oil can help combat insomnia.
- Ylang Ylang – Also known as Cananga odorata or the Cananga tree, the Ylang-Ylang traces its origins to Southeast Asia. Native to Indonesia—where the plant is a romantic favorite, with its flower petals traditionally present in marriage beds, ylang ylang is a wonderful choice if you are looking to improve the quality of your sleep. It’s scent and topical applications are extremely calming and relaxing. In fact, one study found that using ylang-ylang, in combination with lavender and bergamot oil, reduces blood pressure, pulse, stress, anxiety, and cortisol. When it comes to sleep, ylang-ylang can help you fall asleep faster while also reducing stress and anxiety.
- Marjoram – The scent of Sweet Marjoram is said to have a soothing and sedative nature, and the essential oil is one that is often used in blends—for example, with Lavender or Roman Chamomile, or both—to help with sleep difficulties. Some say that the sleep-inducing effects of sweet marjoram are more powerful than lavender and chamomile, which are more often used to aid sleep. A couple of drops of sweet marjoram on a pillow will help even the most frustrated insomniac drift into sleep.
- Lemongrass – Lemongrass essential oil has a calming and delicate aroma that’s commonly used in aromatherapy as it helps encourage relaxation, relieve stress, anxiety and depression. It has a sedative property that can help improve the overall quality of your sleep.
- Sweet Orange – Sweet orange essential oil has a calming and balancing effect that provides a relieving effect to your mind and body. It’s said to be very effective in assisting with insomnia and improving sleep quality. In a 2013 study, it was found that aromatherapy with orange essential oil reduced the pulse rate and stress hormone levels in children undergoing a dental procedure.
- Bergamot – Unlike other citrus oils that are energizing, bergamot is calming and can help reduce your stress and anxiety. Like lemongrass, it possesses sedative qualities and can be useful in preparing your body for sleep. High in flavonoids it makes a very good relaxant as well. Able to soothe nerves and reduce nervous tension, which in terms can help reduce stress-induced sleeplessness.
Where to Buy Essential Oils for Sleep in Singapore?
While more research is still needed regarding essential oils and sleep. However, the studies done thus far do suggest that using essential oils before bedtime can help alleviate mild sleep problems. If you are suffering from insomnia or having difficulty getting into sleep, perhaps you could consider trying a natural alternative to sleeping pills.
So, where to buy Best Essential Oils for Sleep and Anxiety in Singapore? From us, of course! : )
Check out some of our List of Best Essential Oils for Sleep and Anxiety below.
Disclaimer: The information found/put up in this Website is intended for educational information only. You should not rely on the information to make any medical or other decisions for treatment or otherwise. Any medical or other decisions should be made in consultation with your doctors. The publisher will not be liable for any complication, injuries or other medical accidents arising from or in connection with the use of or reliance upon any information in the Website.
This article Best Essential Oils for Sleep and Anxiety appeared first on SingaporeSoap.com. You may also be interested in Where to Buy Pure Essential Oils in Singapore and Where to Buy Lavender Essential Oil in Singapore.
Singapore Soap is Singapore’s best soap and candle making supplies store online. We has a wide range of essential oils, fragrance oil, carrier oil, soap bases, castile liquid soap base, beeswax (yellow, white & organic), shea butter, mango butter & candle making materials. For wholesale and bulk pricing, please contact us separately via Whatsapp or our contact page. Interested to learn how to make your own DIY cold process soap? Register for our soap making lessons today! If you are an experienced soaper, you can also buy lye in Singapore to make your own CP soap by booking our soap making workshop.