Cypress Essential Oil Benefits & Uses
Cypress essential oil (a.k.a. Cupressus Sempervirens) is obtained from the needle-bearing tree of coniferous and deciduous regions. Cypress essential oil is valued for its ability to fight infections, aid the respiratory system, remove toxins from the body, and work as stimulate that relieves nervousness and anxiety.
What is Cypress Essential Oil
Cypress essential oil is steam distilled from the leaves of the cypress tree (cupressus sempervirens) and yes, the tree upon which Jesus died upon was also made of cypress (as well as cedar and pine). Cypress trees are a common sight in their native France, Italy and Spain. It’s also found growing in Libya, Greece, Turkey, Cypress, Egypt, Syria, Lebanon, Isreal, Malta, Italy and Jordan. A cypress tree can grow upwards of 115 feet and has a long life, sometimes more than 1,000 years. The leaves of the tree are steam distilled to release a clear to greenish olive-colored essential oil chemically high in linalool and terpineses.
The foliage grows in dense sprays, dark green in colour. The leaves are scale-like, 2–5 mm long, and produced on rounded (not flattened) shoots. The seed cones are ovoid or oblong, 25–40 mm long, with 10-14 scales, green at first, maturing brown about 20–24 months after pollination. The male cones are 3–5 mm long, and release pollen in late winter. It is moderately susceptible to cypress canker, caused by the fungus Seiridium cardinale, and can suffer extensive dieback where this disease is common. The species name sempervirens comes from the Latin for ‘evergreen’.
Benefits of Cypress Essential OilWhere to essential
The use of the cypress tree has ancient roots. In ancient Chinese medicine, cypress been used to control profuse sweating and it had other positive effects on the body. Tradition has it that a few drops of cypress oil can be mixed in steaming hot water and inhaled to capture its essence. The fortifying and cleaning scent of cypress are highly valued in perfumery and home diffusing for the oil’s potential to stop spasms (menstrual, muscle and airway), strengthen veins and stimulate blood flow. Being naturally astringent, cypress may also help treat acne and relieve eczema.
May help with:
- Skin conditions
- Uplift mood when used in diffuser
- Nervous stress and a depressed mood
- Remove toxins from body
Uses of Cypress Essential Oil
Cypress oil has attributes that benefit both men and women and it may help you with;
- Protect your skin – Adding naturally astringent cypress to your skincare routine to assist in acne treatment and skin irritations caused by shaving
- Support circulation – Cypress oil regulates blood flow to cold hands and feet, varicose veins, arthritic joints, and cramping muscles.
- Breath easy – Cypress opens up airways and can reduce spasms caused by asthma, bronchitis and coughing.
- Relieve menstrual discomfort – That same antispasmodic effect goes to work on uterine cramps while also regulating blood flow during heavy periods.
- Massage oil – Massage cypress oil onto your chest may help stop a cough or onto sore or cramping muscles to help ease discomfort.
- Compresses – Use a cypress hot compress to relieve menstrual cramps or a cold compress to help relieve hemorrhoids and varicose veins.
- Soaps and lotions – A little cypress oil added to facial moisturizers make a cooling aftershave for men.
Blends Well With
Cypress essential oil blends well with bergamot, cedarwood, chamomile, clary sage, fennel, eucalyptus, frankincense, geranium, ginger, grapefruit, juniper, lavender, lemon, sandalwood, rose, lime, orange, pine and rosemary.
Where to Buy Cypress Essential Oil Locally
The cypress tree is an evergreen, with small, rounded and woody cones. It has scale like leaves and tiny flowers. This powerful essential oil has been widely used in ancient civilizations as medicine by the Chinese, followed by the Greeks, and then the Egyptians for medicinal purpose. In 2014, a study found that cypress essential oil possesses antimicrobial properties that inhibited the growth of test bacteria. The study also noted that cypress oil can be used as a cosmetic ingredient in soap-making because of its ability to kill bacteria on the skin. It is also used to treat sores, pimples, pustules and skin eruptions.
Enjoy the benefits of pure cypress oil today with our pure and natural cypress essential oil. Searching for the best cypress essential oil to buy locally or online in Singapore? Singapore Soap is a local supplier of pure essential oils in Singapore. Check out our pure and natural cypress essential oil (1oo% pure, therapeutic grade) below or purchase from our range of essential oils online.