Lavender Oil Benefits & Uses
Lavender may just be the most popular essential oil, and for good reason. It’s gentle enough for almost anyone to use and have endless applications. This is one of the essential oils that you can use neat (without dilution), however if you have sensitive skin, you may choose to dilute. Thanks to its fresh, relaxing aroma, you’ll find lavender in household cleaners and skincare products. Its health benefit make this oil a must-have for the medicine cabinet.
Lavender oil or lavender essential oil (Lavandula angustifolia) has a fresh, sweet, floral, herbaceous aroma that is soothing and refreshing. Because it is the most versatile of all essential oils, no home should be without it. It is great for winding down before bedtime, yet has balancing properties that make it just as beneficial for boosting stamina and energy. Lavender essential oil is frequently used in various forms including aromatherapy oil, gels, infusion, lotion, soaps and highly regarded for skin and beauty.
Looking for 100% pure and natural lavender essential oil? Check out our lavender oil below and purchase our range of essential oils online.
What is Lavender Oil
Lavender oil is extracted from the lavandula (common name lavender) flowering plant through steam distillation. Lavender is a genus of 47 known species of flowering plants in the mint family, Lamiaceae. It is native to the Old World and is found in Cape Verde and the Canary Islands, and from Europe across to northern and eastern Africa, the Mediterranean, southwest Asia to southeast India
Lavender oil has long been used as a perfume, for aromatherapy, and for skin applications in massage therapy as a way of inducing relaxation through direct skin contact. Don’t be mistaken with oil of spike lavender, which are normally used as a solvent in oil painting, mainly before the use of distilled turpentine became common.
Lavender Oil Benefits
According to ancient texts, lavender essential oil has even been used for medicinal and religious purposes for over 2,500 years. Some of the interesting use were by the Egyptians for mummification and as a perfume while the Romans used it for bathing, cooking and for scenting the air. Lavender oil is a multitasking oil that you can put to work to;
- Relieve aches and pains
- Feel calm
- Reduces anxiety and emotional stress
- Heals burns and wounds
- Improves sleep
- Restores skin complexion and reduces acne
- Slows aging with powerful antioxidants
- Improves eczema and psoriasis
- Alleviates headaches
- Protect your skin
Lavender Oil Uses
Lavender oil has a ton of benefits and many ways to make the most of it by including it in massage oils, diffusers or inhalers, balms and salves, soaps and locations or baths.
Lavender Oil Usage Tips
- Add lavender to a relaxing massage to help relieve tension and stress
- Inhale lavender whenever you are feeling anxious or upset.
- Lavender’s analgesic and antiseptic properties make it a great addition to wound treatments, especially for bites and stings
- Add soothing and regenerative lavender to your face wash or moisturizers to help keep skin clear and glowing
- Add it to body lotion to alleviate eczema or skin irritation.
- Add 1 or 2 drops of lavender and 2 tablespoons of carrier oil to a relaxing bath before heading to bed.
- Soothe minor burns by applying 2–3 drops to the affected area.
- Rub on dry or chapped skin to moisturize the affected area.
- Add a few drops to a cotton ball and place it in closets and drawers to scent linens and repel moths and insects.
- May help minimize the appearance of scar tissue by massaging a few drop on or around affected areas.
- Place a few drops on a wet cloth or dryer sheet to deodorize and freshen your laundry.
- Diffuse a few drops to minimize seasonal discomforts.
- Rub a few drops onto your hand and spread over your child’s pillow to help him/her sleep.
- Diffuse lavender essential oil to set the mood for a baby shower or social gathering.
- Diffuse or inhale lavender essential oil to calm your mind, body, and spirit after a hard day’s work.
Blends Well With
Where to Buy Lavender Oil Locally
Lavender oil is like a Swiss army knife for ailments. Keep a rollerball of it (mixed with a carrier oil such as jojoba oil) with you and you are ready to treat headaches, pimples, dermatitis, bug bites, cuts, insomnia and stress at a moment’s notice.
Looking for 100% pure and natural lavender essential oil to buy locally in Singapore? Singapore Soap is a local supplier of pure essential oils in Singapore. Check out our pure lavender oil (1oo% pure) below and purchase our range of essential oils online .