Lemon Essential Oil Benefits & Uses
Lemon essential oil is extracted from the Citrus limonum (also known as Citrus Limon), of the Rutaceae family and is also known as cedro oil (which refers to terpeneless oil). It is extracted from the fresh lemon peel by cold expression and has a strong, clean, purifying citrus scent that is revitalizing and uplifting. Lemon essential oil may help reduce acne, nourish damaged skin and hydrates skin.
What is Lemon Essential Oil
Lemon, commonly found in our kitchens, comes from an evergreen tree that could grow up to about 6 meters (20 feet) and has dark green serrated oval leaves with pink/white flowers that are highly perfumed. The trees have thorns and fruit that turn from green to yellow on ripening. The origin of the lemon is unknown, though lemons are thought to have first grown in Assam (a region in northeast India), northern Burma or China. Lemons entered Europe near southern Italy no later than the second century AD, during the time of Ancient Rome. However, they were not widely cultivated. They were later introduced to Persia and then to Iraq and Egypt around 700 AD.
Lemon essential oils are extracted from the peel of fresh lemons using a “cold-pressing” process that pricks and rotates and presses the oil from the lemon rinds and it will take some 100 lemons to get about an ounce of oil. The fresh fruit peels are cold pressed to release an oil that is a top note and high in monoterpenes. The viscosity is thin and the aroma is fresh, lemony and fruity.
The lemon was first recorded in literature in a 10th-century Arabic treatise on farming, and was also used as an ornamental plant in early Islamic gardens and was distributed widely throughout the Arab world and the Mediterranean region between 1000 and 1150. The first substantial cultivation of lemons in Europe began in Genoa in the middle of the 15th century. The origin of the word lemon may be Middle Eastern. The word draws from the Old French limon, then Italian limone, from the Arabic laymūn or līmūn, and from the Persian līmūn, a generic term for citrus fruit, which is a cognate of Sanskrit (nimbū, “lime”).
Lemon was introduced to the Americas in 1493 when Christopher Columbus brought lemon seeds to Hispaniola on his voyages. Spanish conquest throughout the New World helped spread lemon seeds. It was mainly used as an ornamental plant and for medicine. In the 19th century, lemons were increasingly planted in Florida and California and the British Navy discovered that regular dosage of lemon and lime juice was a cure for scurvy though vitamin C was not yet known as an important dietary ingredient then.
Benefits of Lemon Essential Oil
Not only can lemon essential oil freshen your mood and lift your energy, it can also stimulate your digestive system and help support a healthy weight and appetite. Adding lemon oil to your essential oil tool kit may help you:
- Perk up – Sunny scented citrus oils such as lemon lift mood and energy.
- Ease digestive troubles – Inhaling lemon oil may stimulate digestion, helping you maintain a healthy weight and appetite.
- Protect your skin – Lemon clears acne and congested skin and it will brighten the complexion.
- Stay healthy – Lemon oil is the best for liver support, helping the detoxification process and preventing many issues related to poor liver functions, such as inflammation, skin health and fatigue.
Uses of Lemon Essential Oil
- Laundry – In case you leave your laundry sitting in the washer too long, just add a few drop of lemon EO and your clothes won’t get that nasty smell.
- Teeth Whitener – Mix lemon essential oil, baking soda and coconut oil and rub on your teeth for 2 minutes and then dense as a natural teeth whitener.
- Clean Hands – Got greasy hands from working on your car or bike and regular soap isn’t doing the trick? No worries, just add a couple drops of lemon EO with your soap and get your clean hands back!
- Natural Disinfectant – Want to steer away from alcohol and bleach to disinfect your countertops and clean your moldy shower? Add 40 drops lemon oil and 20 drops tea tree oil to a 16-oz spray bottle fill with pure water (and a little bit of white vinegar) for a traditional cleaning favorite.
- Face-wash – Lemon essential oil uses for skin can can improve your complexion and leave your skin soft and supple. Lemon oil benefits skin by deeply nourishing. You can make lemon oil with baking soda and honey for a natural acne free face wash.
- Wood and Silver Polish – A lemon oil-soaked cloth will also help spruce up your tarnished silver and jewelry! Lemon oil for wood cleaning is also great.
- Goo-Be-Gone – Un-stick the sticky goo your kids leave behind with stickers and gum with lemon oil.
- Promotes Fat-Loss – Putting 2 drops of lemon oil in your water 3x daily may support metabolism and weight loss.
- Improves Mood – Diffusing lemon essential oil in the air can lift mood and fight depression.
- Immune Support – Lemon oil can support lymphatic drainage and help your overcome a cold fast, mix it with coconut oil and rub it on your neck.
- Massage oil – Smooth diluted lemon oil onto your stomach to help stimulate digestion and relieve fluid retention.
- Compresses – Add lemon oil to a hot compress and apply to varicose veins and other areas to support circulation.
- Diffusers or inhalers – Take a few deep breaths of lemon oil whenever you need to lift your spirits or diffuse it to disinfect a room.
- Balms and salves – Add naturally antiseptic lemon oil to treatments for warts and stings.
Blends Well With
Lemon essential oil blends well with bergamot, chamomile, cinnamon, fennel, fir, grapefruit, lime, orange, rosemary, ylang ylang, benzoin, elemi, eucalyptus, geranium, juniper, lavender, neroli, rose and sandalwood.
Where to Buy Lemon Essential Oil Locally
There are many reasons why so many disinfectant sprays smell like lemon. This is because the lemon compound, are antiseptic, antiviral and helps ward off sickness. Adding lemon essential oil to a diffuser or homemade cleaners can help keep your home healthy especially during cold or flu season.
Enjoy the benefits of pure lemon oil today with pure and natural lemon essential oil. Searching for the best lemon essential oil to buy locally or online in Singapore? Singapore Soap is a local supplier of pure essential oils in Singapore. Check out our pure and natural lemon essential oil (1oo% pure, therapeutic grade) below or purchase from our range of essential oils online.