Lemongrass Oil Benefits & Where to Buy
Lemongrass is a common scent and flavor in traditional Asian dishes and is now a common essential oil that is a mood elevator and an antidepressant. The oil also has antimicrobial properties that make it excellent for fending off viral and bacterial infections. Athletes, in particular, may appreciate the oil’s natural muscle-relaxing and anti-inflammatory potential.
What is Lemongrass Oil
Pure Lemongrass Oil (Cymbopogon Flexuosus), is taken from the leaves of lemongrass, a herb that belongs to the grass family of Poaceae. Lemongrass esssential oil has a light and fresh lemony smell with earthy undertones which is stimulating, relaxing, soothing, and balancing. Cymbopogon flexuosus, also called Cochin grass, East-Indian lemon grass or Malabar grass, is a perennial grass native to India, Sri Lanka, Burma, and Thailand. It is placed in the genus Cymbopogon (lemongrasses).
Both varieties of lemongrass oil, West Indian (C. citratus) and East Indian (C. flexuosus) are distilled from clippings of the grass grown in its native home of India. The compounds that make up lemongrass essential oil are known for its anti-fungal, insecticidal, antiseptic, and anti-inflammatory properties.
Lemongrass Oil Benefits
Common uses of lemon grass essential oil includes stress reliever, sleeping aid, natural insects repellent, muscle relaxer and as a natural fragrance with antiseptic properties when used in cosmetics, soaps and homemade deodorizer.
Therapeutic Benefits of Lemongrass Essential Oil
- Natural deodorizer
- Natural bug repellent
- Relieve aches and pains
- Feel calm
- Protect your skin
- Ease digestive troubles
Lemongrass Oil Uses
Uplifting and energizing, get the most out of your lemongrass oil by using the following usage tips.
Lemongrass Essential Oil Usage Tips
- Adding to diffuser as a natural and safe air freshener or deodorizer
- Adding about 10 drops of lemongrass essential oil to warm water for a foot bath
- Rubbing into hair, scalp, and body may help alleviate headaches
- Adding a small amount to bath may help with persistent body odor
- Adding to a diffuser as an aromatherapy may alleviate fatigue
- Adding into homemade cleaning products for added antiseptic ability
- Add 1 to 2 drops of lemongrass to a carrier oil, and massage onto aching muscles or an upset stomach
- Inhaling the fresh scent of lemongrass may bring balance to your mood, simultaneously lifting your spirits and calming your nerves.
- Add lemongrass to face washes, lotions and treatments to help relieve irritated skin.
- When you are under the weather, feeling achy, or stressing out, add 15 drops of lemongrass oil mixed into 1 tablespoon of unscented shampoo or body wash to your bath water.
Blends Well With
Where to Buy Lemongrass Oil Locally
In the book ‘Ayurveda and Aromatherapy’, Bryan Miller states that lemongrass essential oil is an excellent antidepressant oil that can assist in alleviating stress, depression, fatigue, negative feelings, emotional trauma and distress. Using 2 drops of Lemongrass oil in vaporizer, burner or diffuser can assist in driving away negative emotions, insomnia, loneliness, emotional instability, mental stagnation and lack of self-confidence.
Looking for 100% pure and natural lemongrass essential oil to buy locally in Singapore? Singapore Soap is a local supplier of pure essential oils in Singapore. Check out our pure lemongrass oil (1oo% pure therapeutic grade) below and purchase our range of essential oils online.