Ylang Ylang Essential Oil Benefits & Uses
Ylang-ylang essential oil benefits & uses: Ylang ylang (cananga odorata) essential oil are extracted from flower petals of the large, tropical ylang ylang tree. Ylang ylang which also means “flower of flowers” was given the status because of its sweet, floral scent. In fact, ylang ylang oil is one of the key ingredients used in the legendary best selling perfume Chanel No. 5! It’s one of the oldest known medicinal properties that claims to help fights depression and relaxes both the body and soul by uplifting mood and induces feelings of joy and hope. In Indonesia, the petals are often strewn across a marriage bed and are acclaimed for its aromatherapy aphrodisiac potential for activating the romance within couples.
What is Ylang Ylang Essential Oil
The essential oil of ylang-ylang is extracted by steam distillation of fresh flowers of the ylang-ylang tree, which bears the scientific name Cananga Odorata and is commonly found in the rain forests of certain Asian and South Pacific Islands like Indonesia, Philippines, Java, Sumatra, Comoro and Polynesia. The cananga odorata, also known as the cananga tree, is a tropical tree that is native to India, through parts of Indochina, Malaysia, the Philippines and Indonesia, to Queensland, Australia.
It is valued for the perfume extracted from its flowers, called ylang-ylang, which is an essential oil used in aromatherapy. The tree is also called the fragrant cananga, Macassar-oil plant, or perfume tree. Its traditional Polynesian names include Mata‘oi (Cook Islands), Mohokoi (Tonga), Moso‘oi (Samoa), Moto‘oi (Hawaii), and Mokosoi, Mokasoi or Mokohoi (Fiji).
The essential oil is used in aromatherapy. It is believed to relieve high blood pressure and normalize sebum secretion for skin problems, and is considered to be an aphrodisiac. The oil from ylang-ylang is widely used in perfumery for oriental- or floral-themed perfumes (such as Chanel No. 5). Ylang-ylang blends well with most floral, fruit and wood scents.
In Indonesia, ylang-ylang flowers are spread on the bed of newlywed couples. In the Philippines, its flowers, together with the flowers of the sampaguita, are strung into a necklace (lei) and worn by women and used to adorn religious images.
The fragrance of ylang-ylang is rich and deep with notes of rubber and custard, and bright with hints of jasmine and neroli. The main aromatic components of ylang-ylang oil are benzyl acetate, linalool, p-cresyl methyl ether, and methyl benzoate, responsible for its characteristic odor.
Benefits of Ylang Ylang Oil
Ylang ylang oil are exotic and uplifting. It can help you
- Feel calm. Calming properties in ylang ylang helps relieve anxiety and promotes a sense of well-being and potentially lower blood pressure.
- Protect your skin. Ylang-ylang balances, rejuvenates and improves skin complexion, reduces acne and revitalizes the scalp.
- Enhance your sex life. Ylang ylang is considered an aphrodisiac, as it eases tension , arouses the senses and lowers inhibition.
Uses of Ylang Ylang Oil
The ylang-ylang flower produces an aromatic oil with potential to help balance skin conditions, beautify hair, ease anxiety, induce speel and enhance sexuality. Try the following methods to enjoy the benefits of your pure ylang ylang oil.
- For building confidence: 2 drops ylang ylang and 2 drops bergamot.
- For a natural home freshener that smells tropical: 2 drops ylang ylang and 2 drops jasmine.
- To release tension: 2 drops ylang ylang and 2 drops frankincense.
- To give you an energy boost: 2 drops ylang ylang and 2 drops of citrus oil like lemon oil, grapefruit essential oil.
- For an aphrodisiac massage rub: 2 drops ylang ylang and 2 drops sandalwood essential oil.
- To sleep better, add ylang ylang and other relaxing oils, such as marjoram, bergamot and sandalwood, to a diffuser or hot bath before bedtime for a complete restful sleep.
- For natural hair treatment, add ylang ylang to your unscented shampoo and conditioner to infuse for a beautifully floral fragrance and support scalp and hair health.
- For DIY deep conditioner, add ylang ylang to coconut oil and leave it on your hair for three minutes before rinsing.
- For massage oils, add 1 to 2 drops of ylang ylang oil to 2 tablespoons of carrier oil.
- For diffusers or inhalers, add a few drops of ylang ylang to create a sense of calm and ease.
- For soaps and lotion, add 1 to 2 drops of ylang ylang to your grooming routine to help nourish both skin and hair.
- For bath, find deep relaxation in a warm bath infused with ylang ylang.
Blends Well With
Where to Buy Ylang Ylang Essential Oil Locally
Asian native ylang ylang has been used in medicines and skin products for a long time. The exotic essential oil distilled from the Ylang Ylang (cananga odorata) may help with depression, hair and scalp issue, relaxation, sexuality and skin conditions. Ylang ylang flowers are steam distilled to release a middle-to-base-note oil that is high in esters and sesquiterpenes. The exotic, sensual, sweet and flora aroma is uplifting and encourages deep breathing while lifting you out of a depressed state. It is also purported to help reduce anger, tension, stabilize moods and commonly used as an aphrodisiac.
Enjoy the benefits of pure ylang ylang oil today with our pure and natural ylang ylang essential oil. Searching for the best ylang ylang essential oil to buy locally or online in Singapore? Singapore Soap is a local supplier of pure essential oils in Singapore. Check out our pure and natural ylang ylang essential oil (1oo% pure) below or purchase from our range of essential oils online.